Smartphone technology is so vast and applicable in various ways of life. Here are brilliant things you can do with your smart phone.
A smartphone is a cell phone that allows you to do more than the basic functions of making phone calls and sending of normal text messages. Smartphones are enabled to be able to browse the Internet and run basic software programs just like a mini-computer. Smartphones make use of a touch screen without buttons as is known of previous phones, to allow users to interact with the various software embedded in the smartphones. In essence, smartphones have a good user interface. There are thousands of smartphone applications including games, different personal-use, and business-use programs that all run on the smartphone. The perfect picture is an example of the Apple iPhone, one of the most popular smartphones available today.
Smartphones, as the name implies, are smart computers in form of mobile phones that can perform many of the functions of a computer, typically having a touchscreen interface, Internet access, and an operating system capable of running downloaded applications. Today, many of the sophisticated functions performed with a computer are now being performed at the easiest comfort with the use of our mobile smartphones. Smartphones are very powerful computer device with different operating systems depending on the make or brand of the phone, which could be an iOS operating system or Android-based operating system.
Our way of life has been greatly influenced by this powerful tool such that many people have become addicted to them. In fact, it has become one of the most powerful tools in business activities and as well as in education such as running of online classes and programs. The ease with which information are being transmitted using smartphones is so fascinating, making it an important tool for connecting different people even in the simplest way.
Brief History of Smartphones
The first unofficial smartphone was developed by IBM in 1992. It had features, including maps, news feeds, and stock quotes. This later resulted in the manufacturing of an improved version called the Simon Personal Communicator. It came with capabilities to send and receive e-mails, address book, calculator, calendar, and a notepad. In the year 2000, smartphone was connected with an actual 3G network. In other words, a mobile communications standard was built to allow portable electronic devices access to the Internet wirelessly.
Steve Jobs and the team at Macworld revealed the very first iPhone. The very first iPhone gave consumers the ability to browse the web just as they would on a desktop computer. One of the important modifications made was done to the battery life of the smartphone with 8 hours of talk time (rivalling the 1992 smartphones measly 1 hour of juice) as well as 250 hours of standby time.
In 2009, the world was referred to be at our fingertips. This year brought a big revolution to the world of smartphones with 21 new iPhone, the advent of the Android— Google’s competitor with the iPhone, development of more mobile apps, a new kind of artist known as a mobile photographer, texting and messaging taking place through wireless connections.
In this article, I will be showing you ‘7 brilliant things you can do on smartphones’
Smartphone technology is so vast and applicable in various ways of life. Aside from the use roles of smartphones highlighted in businesses and education, there are some exceptionally unique roles performed by smartphones. They do not just have numerous features but also allows you to download multiple apps for any possible situation and preference. You may not know this but your phone can do more than you think or even imagine.
- Earn Money: the smartphone does not just help in our day to day activities but you can also earn with your smartphone. There are a lot of jobs which can be done from the comfort of your home and all that is required is the use of a smartphone and internet connection. Some of these jobs include; content writing, virtual assistant, answering survey questions and so on. Although, the money earned from these does not make you rich overnight you can afford to pay your bills as it can be done as a side hustle.
- Measure a Distance: Smartphones now have applications that enable its user to measure short distances without tape, just download the app called SIZEUP from Google Play or App Store. Your smartphone’s dimensions are part of the measurement.
- Control Your Phone: a gesture control app called WAVE CONTROL is used to perform some tasks on your phone even without having contact with it. For instance, you can want music and video player or answer calls with a wave of your hand.
- Drive Safely: If you are driving in the dark and want to keep your eyes constantly on the road you can use your smartphone with the help of a certain app called HUDWAY.
- Earn a Degree: it’s no longer news that you can earn a degree online without visiting the four walls of a university. Most institutions of higher learning have made it easy for one to earn a good degree from the comfort of your home with ease. Usually, all that is required is just the need of a good smartphone or laptop to access the classes online. At the end of it all, a certificate is issued which can be used anywhere.
- Send Text From Your Pc: the app called MIGHTYTEXT links your phone, computer or tablet which gives you the opportunity to manage SMS or MMS or messages sent to your phone number will appear on your computer screen and can also find them in your phone text inbox so nothing will get lost.
- Make Better Decisions: No more hesitation, to save your time and the decision-making process a lot easier, name your options and then let this app called DECISION CRAFTING suggest the best choice instantly. The App makes the final decisions after considering all the pros and cons of each choice and comparing them one another based on different criteria.
Just like a desktop or laptop computer, a smartphone has an operating system, these operating systems vary depending on the type of smartphones. The four most common are iOS (created by Apple), Android (created by Google), BlackBerry (created by Research in Motion), and Windows Phone (created by Microsoft). Some smartphone users find these operating systems easier to use than the other depending on the type of functions performed on the smartphone.
The Role of Smartphones in Our Way of Life
Smartphones have played crucial roles in our day-to-day activities especially in businesses, education, religion and a lot more. In businesses, the way we communicate over the last 20 years has been significantly affected by smartphones also in education, smartphones have a great level of impact in the way people learn in modern times. Here are some of the uses of smart phones in school and business:
- Telecommuting: is a realistic way of operating for many although, physical meetings have not been totally removed from businesses, smartphones and devices have made it possible to have meetings without physical appearances, tools like Slack, FaceTime, Skype and zoom give access to a virtual desk on your smartphone from anywhere in the world. In times of global crises like war, disease outbreak, businesses can still continue regardless of the major constraints.
- Reading Notes: many schools now upload their course work online for students to download and study. Aside from that, some students go the extra mile using their smartphones to learn more about their school work by streaming tutorial videos online or reading other useful course materials online.
- School Registration: smartphones have reduced the stress of flocking at the computer centres to complete student registration processes. Students can now comfortably register their courses and modules anywhere using their smartphones. Payments are also payable using online banking facilities as a gateway for settling fees through the use of smartphones.
- Campus Connection: students find it very easy to connect with friends and colleagues on campus without having to walk around the campus environment. Useful information can be easily passed across different group chats and forum.
- Submission of Assignments: some tutors now organise most of their classes online even without coming to the classroom. Students are able to attend classes without stepping out of their residence and assignments can even be submitted from home using smartphones. Smartphones made it easy to organise online distant learning programs since most of the materials needed are already uploaded online.
Today, smartphones are not just useful tools but also survival tools. They have sharpened our lives in so many ways, making it seem like they are almost unavoidable by adding more values to our lives and also making tasks easy for us. In various aspects of our lives, we have known to use the smartphones for so many things; in education, daily life, business endeavors, working from home and so on. Smartphones are therefore very necessary for our day to day activities.